Free or Almost Free Things to do with Kids near Pottstown
Looking for some FUN ways to entertain your kiddos in Pottstown and the surrounding area? Hopefully with this list of free or low-cost activity ideas, you can eliminate hearing the kids say, “I’m bored”.
Go to the Library
Most libraries often host such free activities as storytimes, parties, music and puppet shows. Check out libraries in neighboring towns too — they might offer something your regular branch doesn’t.
- Pottstown Regional Public Library
- Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library
- Boyertown Community Library
Tour a Local Business
You may not have to look further than your favorite grocery store to find an afternoon activity. Some local restaurants are often open to giving kids a behind-the-scenes look at a working kitchen during slow times. Many factories offer tours, which can come with some take away freebies.
- Giant Food Store “Kid Healthy Ideas” Tours
- Red Lobster Behind the Scenes in Pottstown, PA
- Zimmers’ Pet Store in Boyertown, PA
- Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery Tour in Lititz, PA
- Herr’s Snack Factory Tour, Nottingham, PA
Check Out Chain Stores
Many national retailers offer children’s activities or classes — usually they are inexpensive or free things to do with kids!
- IKEA’s Smaland in Conshohocken, PAis a supervised playroom for potty-trained kids. Just drop and shop.
- Home Depotand Lowe’s run free weekend project workshops for kids (ages 5-12 for Home Depot).
- Crafts stores, such as Michaels, hold free project demos that will keep creative kids happy, ages are craft-specific but can start at 3.
- Cabela’s Outfittersin Hamburg, PA is more than a retail store. Your kids will be engaged with huge lifelike taxidermy displays and local fish swimming in the aquarium.
Visit a Farm
Whether they’re petting animals or picking fruit, kids love farms. Check with farms in your area to see if they offer free tours, activities or are open to a few hours of help with real farm chores from your pint-size volunteers.
- Oley Turnpike Dairy in Oley, PA – petting zoo and yummy ice cream
- Ryerss Horse Farm in Pottstown, PA – stop by the farm and see the horses
- Illusion Ranch in Boyertown, PA – bring your camera for a photo op with the Alpacas
- Upper Schuylkill Valley Park in Royersford, PA – visit wild animals and raptors indigenous to Pennsylvania. Picnicking and fishing are popular along the river, and a short, scenic hike will lead you to the Schuylkill Canal Parkin Mont Clare.
- Frecon Farms in Boyertown, PA – great spot for picking fruit
Swing on over to a Playground
Playgrounds are the only place in the whole wide world where your sole responsibility is to have as much free fun as possible.. and this is probably #1 on the list of free things to do with kids near Pottstown! If you are tired of your neighborhood playground, check out some of these:
- Earl Township Park in Boyertown, PA – toddler and youth play areas, frisbee golf and paths
- Cedar Beach Playground in Allentown, PA –so many structures geared more for ages 4-9
- Manderach Park in Limerick, PA – large playground, sports’ fields and walking path
- Smith Memorial Playground & Playhouse in Philadelphia, PA – you’vegotta try the wooden slide
- Boyertown Community –shaded and cushiony playground area with paved walking path, bandshell and frisbee golf
- Kids Castle Playground at Doylestown’s Central Park –voted best playground (huge wooden play structures)
And if you are looking for some free indoor playtime, visit:
- Superior Play Systems in Norristown, PA– stop by from 10am to 1pm every Wednesday & Friday and let the kids burn off some of their boundless energy on the showroom trampolines and playsets.
- McDonalds’ Play Place (Pottstown and Quackertown) –grab a kiddie cone and let the kids climb and play
- Chick-fil-a(Sanatoga and Royerfsord) – very clean small indoor play areas
- B’s Coffeehouse in Souderton, PA – their free playzone allows kids (up to 54 inches) a place to play, climb, and slide while parents can relax and enjoy a cup of coffee, fresh pastry and use the free WiFi.
Take a Hike
The great outdoors is always open and waiting for little explorers. Take hikes at nature reserves and parks in the area. Here are few favorite local spots:
- Green Lane Park in Green Lane, PA
- Marsh Creek State Park in Downingtown, PA
- Valley Forge National Historical Park in King of Prussia, PA
- Peter’s Village in Warwick Twp, PA
- Evansburg State Park in Collegeville, PA
NOTE TO MOMS & DADS: If you have any ideas you would like to add to our “Free things to do with kids near Pottstown” List, please let us know and we would be happy to add it to the list.
Thinking of moving to the Pottstown area? Want to learn more about home values, school districts and all the local family friendly spots? Visit our Pottstown Real Estate Guide.
Donovan Mitchell :: Donovan Mitchell :: 215-688-3863